POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Some ideas about SDL enhancements : Re: Some ideas about SDL enhancements Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:44:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some ideas about SDL enhancements
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Apr 2003 13:13:41
Message: <3e906045@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:

> Anyway, what exactly is your objection? The string group IDs?

Yes.  Remember light groups?  They implemented something similar alien to
the language.

> Or is your complaint with the group idea itself? It was suggested as an
> improvement to the "object ID" idea, and seems much better to me. Got a
> better idea?

Sure, but you would need to extend several parts of the language to do it
properly ... there are simply things you cannot do without ugly hacks in the
3.x implementation of POV-Ray.  This is one of them.  And rather than a
hack, not doing it is the responsible choice.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde